Associate Director of Advancement, Arts & Sciences
Washington University in St. LouisSt. Louis, MO
Washington University seeks an advancement professional for the position of Associate Director of Advancement supporting Arts & Sciences. The Arts & Sciences Advancement team strives to advance the mission of the college by creating a culture of philanthropy among alumni, students, faculty, parents, and friends. The primary responsibilities of the Associate Director of Advancement for Arts & Sciences will focus on qualifying an individual as a donor, building meaningful relationships, managing a caseload of prospects, increasing support for Arts & Sciences and other university priorities, serving as a liaison to academic departments, programs, and/or centers, and working in collaboration with, and in support of colleagues. The Associate Director will assist in managing and developing strategies to increase philanthropic support to grow the number of gifts in support of Arts & Sciences and other university priorities. This position includes visits with prospective and current donors in St. Louis and travel to territories as assigned. The Associate Director of Advancement reports to the Director of Advancement.
This position requires the ability and willingness to visit with prospective and current donors in St. Louis and travel to territories as assigned.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of 65 – 100 annual and leadership annual prospects, working both independently and in collaboration with University Advancement colleagues, to employ innovative strategies for qualifying, cultivating and soliciting new prospects as well as existing donors. Conduct 100-150 meaningful contacts each fiscal year with constituents. Includes travel to territories as assigned.
- Liaise with academic departments and programs as assigned. Develop a broad understanding of the academic mission of the College of Arts & Sciences, graduate education, and related centers, programs, and institutes. Assist in building strategy and tactics appropriate to the ambitious goals of the Arts & Sciences.
- Work to establish and maintain strong and effective working relationships with the major internal constituents of Arts & Sciences as well as colleagues working throughout University Advancement. Collaborate closely with other staff, including regional directors, school directors, corporations, and foundations, planned to give, reunion giving and parent giving in order to meet metrics.
- Undertake special projects and assignments to advance the mission of Washington University. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree.
- Three to five years of fundraising experience with a track record of successful solicitations or related experience.
- Project leadership skills, with value placed on organizational loyalty, commitment, pride, integrity, mutual respect, and collegial openness.
- Advancement experience preferably in a complex university environment.
- Deep appreciation for and ability to articulate the importance of the mission and aspirations of Arts & Sciences and Washington University.
- Desire to play a meaningful role in the University community and to share in its commitment to research and education.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, be creative, and effectively plan and implement effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for individual giving.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies within a complex organization.
- Strong work ethic with the capacity to work independently.
- Ability to listen carefully, learn quickly and work effectively with both internal and external constituencies.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills: demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with high-net-worth individuals.
- Detail-oriented and self-driven to meet goals.
- Superior communication and writing skills with the ability to articulate in compelling philanthropic language the mission of Arts & Sciences.
- Creative problem solving and project management skills.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across advancement offices.
- Resourceful in finding information within Arts & Sciences and Washington University in order to respond to donors, dean’s office, and colleagues.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three years of related experience.
Salary Range: $57,300.00 – $97,700.00 / Annually
To apply for this job please visit wustl.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.
- Next s