Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marketing for Schools and Units
University of North Carolina at Chapel HillChapel Hill, NC
University Development’s purpose is to support the mission of the university by raising private resources to enhance financial support for students, faculty, programs and facilities. University Development provides leadership and centralized services to all development offices throughout the University, serving as a focal point for annual giving, application development and IT support; campaign management; constituent programs; corporate and foundation relations; donor relations; gift planning; gift services; industry relations; marketing/communications; parents giving; principal gifts; prospect management, research and analytics; regional programs; scholarships and student aid; talent management; university events; and volunteer engagement.
Carolina Development is proud of its donor-centered philosophy, pursuing activities that always respect the interests and intentions of the donor as well as the University. The organization’s collaborative nature is a critical component to fulfilling our mission of raising private funds to benefit the university.
This position may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement that may include a partially remote work location, consistent with System Office policy. UNC Chapel Hill employees are generally required to reside within a reasonable commuting distance of their assigned duty station.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marketing for Schools and Units, the Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marketing for Schools and Units will plan and implement direct marketing strategies for many schools and units with the assistance of the Associate Director. They will develop an overall outreach strategy to renew, retain and acquire donors through direct marketing strategies. This position will have direct contact with University Development colleagues, school/unit colleagues and donors.
- 50% – Direct Marketing: Assist the Associate Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marketing for Schools and Units with planning and implementing the overall strategy for direct marketing for schools and units. Coordinate and implement direct marketing efforts (mail, email, social media, crowdfunding and web) that solicit alumni, donors and friends. Includes: utilizing a marketing automation platform (Salesforce) to schedule and send appeals, working in Carolina’s DAVIE database (Blackbaud CRM) to create queries, segments and marketing efforts; designing and coordinating the production of appropriate annual giving materials including, but not limited to, solicitation letters and emails, stewardship pieces, brochures, data reports, and other fundraising materials; utilizing Carolina’s campaign branding assets along with individual school/unit branding guidelines when designing and writing for print and digital materials; managing print, electronic and web-based content; writing and editing communications and solicitation materials; editing and analyzing communications and solicitation material or content prepared by others; ensuring that all marketing and solicitation projects are completed, mailed or emailed on-time and error free; creating and implementing digital strategies for web-based campaigns; liaising with printing companies and other external vendors to produce school/unit marketing materials.
- 25% – Consulting: Cultivate relationships with school/unit clients across campus.
- Work closely with development officers, senior leadership and communications professionals in schools/units across campus to identify annual giving needs and plan strategy and appeals.
- Strategically identify segments for appeals with school/unit clients.
- Communicate central annual giving strategies and current annual giving best practices with schools/units.
- 20% – Reporting: Analyze and report past and present fundraising results for schools/units. Use data to set future direct marketing and annual giving strategy.
- 5% – Other Duties: As requested by the annual giving team to meet the goals of the department.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree required (or foreign degree equivalent) with related experience. For positions with responsibility for direct solicitation of gifts and funds, a minimum of 1 year of professional-level, direct solicitation/fundraising experience is required.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience:
- Qualified candidates must demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills with both internal and external audiences; editing skills; attention to detail; the ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team; the ability to maintain confidentiality; project management skills with the ability to organize and work on multiple and competing projects simultaneously; superior customer service skills for school and unit clients.
- Candidates should have working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop), MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneDrive and Teams) and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube).
- Ability to interact effectively in a comprehensive research university setting.
- The ability to work effectively with a variety of campus departments including consultation and advisement of constituent school and unit colleagues.
- A high energy level and strong drive to be successful.
- Ability to think logically and strategically.
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience:
- Preferably two years of higher education development, direct marketing for higher education or related experience.
- Experience with donor CRMs (Blackbaud), marketing automation platforms (Salesforce), crowdfunding platforms (Community Funded), project management tools (Asana) and commercial printing/production processes is preferred.
Hiring Range: $50,000 – $56,000
To apply for this job please visit unc.peopleadmin.com.