Associate Director of Annual Giving
University of New HavenOrange, CT
Associate Director of Annual Giving
Department: Advancement Services
Location: Orange, CT
Who we are:
The University of New Haven, founded on the Yale campus in 1920, is a private, coeducational university situated on the coast of southern New England. It’s a diverse and vibrant community of more than 8,800 students with campuses around the country and around the world. Within its five colleges, students immerse themselves in a transformative, career-focused education across the liberal arts and sciences, fine arts, business, engineering, public safety and public service. More than 100 academic programs are offered, all grounded in a long-standing commitment to collaborative, interdisciplinary, project-based learning.
The Associate Director will utilize data as a key driver of annual giving strategy, solicitation, and stewardship. They will demonstrate an unflagging commitment to helping the University realize its annual and long-term goals; increase alumni participation, as well as cultivate donors to improve donor retention; engage alumni volunteers, and provide a healthy pool of leadership, as well as planned giving prospects.
- A natural leader with professional demeanor, attention to detail and the ability to interact and communicate with diverse constituencies and to work collaboratively in teams and across departments
- Able to work well with people at all levels of an organization and can warmly develop relationships with diverse constituencies.
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, adhering to deadlines and adjusting to shifting priorities with a strong ability to independently problem solve.
- Implement a strategic plan of action for the annual giving program that includes identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of constituents. Integrates and executes direct mail, electronic, and Phonathon solicitations.
- Use Raiser’s Edge NXT and custom reports to provide a comprehensive analysis and manipulation related to all aspects of the annual giving program. Use statistics to evaluate current annual giving programs and to make recommendations for program changes.
- Identify and develop opportunities and engagement strategies for programmatic fundraising, including oversight for all University-approved crowdfunding and Giving Day projects. This entails ensuring that proposed projects meet the criteria to proceed as a project, working hand-in-hand with project owners, providing guidance and assistance to meet project goals and making sure that the projects are consistent with the University’s mission and branding, and recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Oversee the Student Philanthropy Council, student, and senior giving campaigns.
- Provide support to faculty and staff giving campaigns.
- Work with consultant and/or Advancement Services colleague to develop and update key reports as well as hard coding data for segmentation and reporting purposes.
- Partner with consultant and/or Advancement Communications to develop themes, appeals, and campaigns, including but not limited to direct mail and electronic communication efforts, including concept design, messaging, and segmentation. Produces mail lists for print houses and email queries for electronic communication.
- Responsible for web and mobile donation pages and the creation of new pages on GiveCampus and Blackbaud NetCommunity. Seeks ways to improve the online giving structure to keep pace with changes in technology.
- Collaborate with Athletics and assists the Associate Director of Athletics with Charger Athletic Fund solicitations.
- Work closely with Advancement staff to ensure coordination with their respective fundraising and/or alumni efforts.
- Attend advancement events (some night and weekend work required).
- Work in coordination with Alumni Relations and assists the Alumni Board of Directors on their fundraising objectives; acts as a resource and provides updates to board chairperson.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two to three years of nonprofit development experience, preferably in a university setting.
- Highly proficient with Raiser’s Edge NXT to accurately access and utilize data to meet annual giving goals.
- Excellent oral and communication skills, including active listening skills.
- Excellent time management skills; ability to prioritize.
- Energetic and positive professional who works well in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain effective, consistent, and constructive communication with colleagues.
- Strong computer skills; basic web design and website maintenance skills are preferred.
- Experience with GiveCampus is preferred.
- Sensitivity to personal and confidential information.
- Proven ability to create and sustain donor trust and relationships among a broad donor constituency
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively, ethically, creatively and independently in a complex organizational setting with discretion, patience, flexibility, enthusiasm, and humor
- Strong desire to excel and exceed goals, and a strong passion for fundraising
- Ability to travel regionally and nationally. Flexibility with weekend and evening hours for University Advancement special events, dinners, and University related activities.
What’s In It for You:
- Health & Welfare Programs: Employees and their eligible family members, including spouses and dependent are eligible for Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Programs
- Wellness & Fitness: On-campus Recreation and Fitness Center for employees and families; Employee Assistant Program
- Commitment to Educational Excellence: Tuition assistance for employees and eligible dependents; Tuition exchange opportunities
- Employee Discounts on products, services and educational opportunities
- Work/Life Benefits: Generous paid time off programs; progressive paid holiday schedule (including holiday break between Christmas and New Year’s); 4 weeks of parental paid leave; flexible work schedules including summer hours where applicable
To apply for this job please visit newhaven.hrmdirect.com.