Development Officer, Leadership Annual Giving
University of MarylandCollege Park, MD
The University of Maryland’s division of University Relations is seeking a highly motivated, goal-oriented, enthusiastic professional to serve as a Development Officer for Leadership Annual Giving.
Reporting to the Director of Leadership Annual Giving, this position works collaboratively as a front-line fundraiser for the Leadership Annual Giving team (LEAD) to support all areas of the University to help build the major gift pipeline through the identification and solicitation of donors at the Leadership Annual Giving level ($1,000 – $49,999) throughout an assigned region.
The Development Officer for Leadership Annual giving will have several duties including but not limited to:
- Responsible for the discovery of new donors and solicitation of gifts from the University’s alumni, friends, parents and constituents
- Actively manage and develop a portfolio of leadership annual giving prospects throughout an assigned region
- Meet and exceed a set number of metrics including but not limited to: visits (in-person and virtual), solicitations, dollars raised, and referrals to major gift portfolios
- Identification, qualification, cultivation, and solicitation of mid-level giving prospects to create and grow a pipeline of donors
- Collaborate with colleagues to help align donors’ philanthropic interests with various priorities across campus
- Make donor referrals to university-wide major gift officers, as appropriate
- Provide timely post-visit follow-up, including tracking moves and solicitations, and sending personalized follow-ups to individual prospects
- Attend university-wide events and University Relations related meetings
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated success in the field of development, philanthropy, alumni relations, advancement or related/transferable industry.
- Relevant student and internship experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must demonstrate the aptitude to represent the University in a highly professional and effective manner
- Must demonstrate aptitude to cultivate relationships with and solicit alumni and friends of the University
- Ability to work effectively as part of a dynamic team in a large, complex research university
- Experience in cold calling, negotiating, and closing business deals
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining consistent and transparent communication with a team and leadership
- Ability to establish positive relationships with colleagues, volunteers and donors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, with great attention to detail and strong follow-up skills
- Self-motivated and self-starting
- Good listener
- Optimism, perseverance and a positive attitude
- Ability to travel throughout assigned region
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required
- Aptitude in work with databases, data, excel, and comfortable utilizing these tools
- Ability to thrive in a data driven environment
- The individual will be self-motivated and have a passion for the University and its mission.
- The candidate will clearly demonstrate necessary soft skills, relationship-building skills and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and ethics of fundraising
- Understanding of the development process and donor cycle
- Experience in higher education fundraising
To apply for this job please visit ejobs.umd.edu.