Associate Director of Annual Giving
UMass BostonBoston, MA
The Associate Director of Annual Giving reports to and works with the Director of Annual Giving to design and implement an institution-wide comprehensive annual giving program that aims to grow annual giving participation rates and dollars raised. Utilizing direct mail, e-mail, phone-a-thon, prospect visits, digital media, and the Chancellor’s Council leadership giving society, the incumbent will work to gain philanthropic support from alumni, faculty/staff, students, parents, and friends. The incumbent will be responsible for establishing new programs, as needed, to support the mission of the university. The Associate Director will collaborate with other members of the front-line fundraising and alumni engagement team, as well as administration and academic units, on outreach and will work with each member individually to maximize efforts to raise both annual gifts and leadership gifts within each college or school at the university.
Examples of Duties:
- Partner on a marketing and solicitation strategic plan to increase alumni participation, membership and giving to the Chancellor’s Council leadership giving society, with a focus on growing the leadership gift pipeline at the University. Build membership through personal visits, specialized direct mail/e-mail, events and volunteer solicitation, in concert with the council’s volunteer leadership;
- Work collaboratively with Advancement Communications and outside vendors to conceptualize, design and implement fundraising communication pieces that solicit current use and endowed annual gifts for the university; establish an annual communication theme, create and maintain a communications calendar and make production schedules for each planned communication;
- Build a portfolio of annual fund prospects by making five to seven (5-7) visits per month; implement and measure efforts to upgrade annual gifts from alumni, faculty and staff, parents, students and, in particular, to increase numbers within each giving level from $1 to $999; identify annual giving prospects who can be cultivated for Chancellor’s Council asks ($1,000.00 plus);
- Work collaboratively with Advancement Communications and annual giving colleagues on email marketing; social media and digital giving strategy, including building and designing marketing pieces, and leveraging social media to increase engagement and promote our fundraising message. Provide logistical support for annual giving campaigns, including maintaining associated webpages and online giving forms. Look for opportunities to use technology in new ways to advance our mission;
- Collaborate with director and outside vendor on the management of phone-a-thon program. Ensure adequate staffing, participation, and strategy for phone-a-thon outreach. Seek to increase the number of constituents solicited and dollars raised by phone;
- Work closely with Alumni Engagement and the appropriate colleagues to encourage reunion giving by helping to recruit and run reunion giving efforts; participate in monthly reunion committee meetings and staff reunion weekend;
- In conjunction with the Director and leadership gift officers, establish and develop a robust Parent and Family Program, creating a pipeline of donors to the annual fund and the Chancellor’s Council;
- In collaboration with the Director, and Alumni Engagement team, enhance and expand the student giving program creating a pipeline of donors to the annual fund and the Chancellor’s Council;
- Collaborate with the director to enhance and expand the faculty and staff giving program, creating a pipeline of donors to the annual fund and the Chancellor’s Council;
- Assist in preparing records, reports and trends analysis of giving, including number of donors, dollars pledged, and monies received, both overall and by college/department, number of payroll donors, both overall and by college/department and compare data to previous fiscal year totals;
- Assist the Director with planning and execution of special events, and participate in special events associated with development and other university activities to strengthen relationships and support the overall mission of the university;
- Assist in special projects assigned by the Director of Annual Giving and Vice Chancellor, as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 3 years of professional experience working in a development office or in annual giving required, with higher education experience preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and desktop publishing applications required. Demonstrated experience working with Constituent Record Management (CRM) systems, website and email marketing systems, and social media platforms preferred. Ability to work early mornings, occasional evenings and weekends, as required. The incumbent must have a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation in order to meet alumni, prospective donors, and attend events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the best practices and principles associated with fundraising in higher education; including the use direct mail, e-solicitation, phone solicitations, and social media;
- Results oriented individual who demonstrates the ability to work well with people at all levels of the university;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population of alumni, families and other constituent groups;
- Ability to work enthusiastically and effectively with stakeholders, including Dean’s, department chairs, program directors and university executive staff;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality;
- Strong written and oral and written communication skills;
- Strong analytical, organization and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to supervise, prioritize and delegate work as required to assistants, vendors and student workers;
- Is this job required to be on-call? no
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
To apply for this job please visit employmentopportunities.umb.edu.
- Next s