Senior Manager Alumni Relations
Student Conservation AssociationArlington, VA
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) is seeking a Senior Manager, Alumni (Senior Manager) with exceptional drive and insights to lead the SCA alumni engagement program as part of a comprehensive annual fund plan and overall philanthropic goals. The Senior Manager will grow and engage alumni support for SCA’s mission and financial future.
The SCA conserves lands and transforms lives. Through hands-on service in the great outdoors, the Student Conservation Association (SCA) co-powers young leaders from all backgrounds to protect our nation’s irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures. As they make these vital contributions to our public lands, SCA members gain the skills and insights necessary to launch conservation careers. Indeed, 70% of SCA alumni are currently working or studying in an environmental field. Yet no matter their vocation, these alums help forge a more resilient world through continued stewardship and leadership.
Independent research shows SCA experiences spur character development and help young adults prosper long term. Pre- and post-program studies show SCA participants feel they matter more, report greater self-confidence and esteem, improve their teamwork, and practice a higher level of civic engagement—all key skills that enhance one’s readiness for school, work, and life.
The SCA prioritizes the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and is working on a multi-pronged strategy to ensure these values are at the core of its programming and operations. Our definition of success requires the SCA to broaden the reach of all its programs, with special emphasis on its Urban Green initiative, a decades-long effort to engage historically excluded and displaced people by helping to facilitate sustainable initiatives in the communities where they live, work, and play. Funded for the past five years by the JPB Foundation and other funders, this initiative is poised to reach more people in more communities in the decade ahead.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Annual Fund Director, the Senior Manager oversees the strategy and execution of SCA’s alumni program aimed toward increased engagement and giving of alumni. The SCA’s resident expert in best practices for alumni engagement, the Senior Manager will manage the SCA Alumni Council, alumni communications, fundraising initiatives, and programs. Working closely with various internal and external partners, including stewardship and individual giving, direct response, the Philanthropy Leadership Team, and marketing and communications, the Senior Manager will help manage expenses and revenue for all alumni-related needs, as well as have oversight over various alumni platforms.
- Create an annual work plan with the Annual Fund Director that details alumni communications, fundraising and engagement activities aligned with the strategic priorities of the Philanthropy Department.
- In partnership with the Annual Fund Director, collaborate with the Philanthropy Leadership Team to develop strategic alumni programs with fundraising objectives in mind.
- Plan and implement alumni events that track Key Performance Indicators, in alignment with Philanthropy’s annual goals.
- Develop a variety of alumni communications collateral, both print and digital, in collaboration with marketing and communications.
- In conjunction with the Direct Response Team, identify and determine alumni solicitation segments.
- Represent the needs of and goals pertaining to the alumni constituency with institutional partners (both internal staff and external vendors).
- Engage the alumni community in organization-wide projects including Giving Day, National Public Lands Day, the Alumni Fellows Program and more.
The ideal candidate:
- Understands that equity is a lens through which SCA does its work and not a special initiative; will have fundamental knowledge of the relationship between historically biased policies, safety outside, and equitable access to nature, and can demonstrate a personal commitment to climate justice.
- Supports and embodies SCA’s Core Values: bold vision, respectful to the land, integrity, belonging and inclusion, and collaboration.
- Exhibits passion for the environment and youth development demonstrated through professional experience or volunteer service.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience collaborating with senior staff and volunteer leadership to advance a high-level philanthropy program, earning buy-in, and motivating others toward greater engagement.
- Minimum of five years of experience working with alumni or a related constituency in a philanthropic environment.
- Commitment to inclusive fundraising practices, including demonstrated experience working successfully in a culturally and economically diverse communities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of environmental justice, conservation, and youth service, preferably in advancement, alumni relations, or marketing.
- Knowledge of industry standards, current trends, and best practices in alumni engagement.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Advanced written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including producing information appropriately presented and effectively received by target constituencies.
- Advanced project management skills, including skills to plan and implement successful events.
- Up to 20% local, regional, and national travel as needed.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.