Director of Annual Giving
Portland State University FoundationPortland, OR
At the PSU Foundation, we believe in the power of higher education to transform lives. We are a mission-driven organization focused on advancing Portland State University through relationships, community connections and philanthropy. As part of our team, you’ll join a group of passionate, committed and engaged individuals working to empower students, faculty and the communities we serve. Join us.
The Director of Annual Giving works closely with PSU Foundation (PSUF) colleagues and campus partners to develop and execute PSUF’s annual giving program. The multi-channel program focuses on increasing annual giving revenue, deepening donor engagement, and broadening the base of support across all constituent groups, including alumni, faculty, staff, parents and friends of Portland State University. The Director will also drive a long-term strategy to strengthen the major gift pipeline, systematically moving annual giving donors into managed development programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Increase annual gift revenue while broadening the base of support through direct mail and electronic solicitations managed in close collaboration with the Engagement & Communications team and campus partners.
- Develop and maintain strong solicitation, engagement, and stewardship approaches for key constituencies (e.g., faculty, staff, young alumni, loyal donors).
- With key colleagues, build and manage the leadership annual giving program (gifts of $1,000-$50,000) to move annual giving donors into relationship-based fundraising programs.
- With Senior Director and key colleagues, develop a plan to continuously improve the PSU Foundation’s annual giving program, integrating with its multi-channel digital campaigns, as well as with alumni engagement efforts.
- With key colleagues, work to benchmark and measure the engagement of alumni and key constituencies around giving, volunteerism, event attendance and other metrics.
- Analyze, monitor and report annual giving progress to staff and stakeholders, including board members of both the PSU Foundation Board and Alumni Association Board.
- Collaborate with Engagement & Communications to ensure that brand standards and the overall marketing and communications strategy is deployed consistently and effectively.
- Perform key administrative duties, including budget management, coordinating engagement activities, setting up donor visits, and supervising and evaluating Annual Giving staff.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Measures of Success:
- Progressively increase annual giving revenue through innovation and persistence.
- Meet or exceed goals related to donor acquisition, retention, upgrades and engagement.
- Meet or exceed participation and dollar goals for leadership annual giving program.
- May directly supervise 1-4 development team members.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies.
- Hire and train staff; plan, assign, and direct work; conduct regular performance evaluations and address complaints or performance issues.
- Budget management
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree, preferred.
- Minimum of four years of relevant experience.
- Fundraising experience in higher education preferred, particularly at a large, public institution or comparably complex organization with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience with comprehensive fundraising campaigns is preferred.
- Familiarity with donor databases is required.
- Knowledge of Portland’s donor community is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Requirements:
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, coaching and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze processes and information, identify trends, challenges, opportunities, solutions and strategies.
- Ability to work effectively in a matrixed environment placing a high premium on collaboration toward shared goals and understanding complex processes.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with necessary stakeholders, both internal and external to the organization and at every level.
- Ability to make strong decisions that are organization-focused, strategic and have a positive impact.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to deploy discretion related to confidential information.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency, including experience using Microsoft Office, Google Applications, DocuSign and other paperless management tools.
- Demonstrate reliable, regular, and predictable work attendance.
- Self-motivated and require little guidance to tackle projects, tasks and priorities.
- Ability to create and collaborate within an equitable and inclusive team environment, and to communicate effectively within the context of diverse behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
Other Essential Information:
- Department: Development
- Work Days/Hours: Full Time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday
- Work Type: We currently have a hybrid work model at the PSU Foundation. The Director of Annual Giving will be required to work at least 16 hours/week on Portland State University campus and the remainder of the work week may be worked remotely in Oregon or Washington.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual Compensation: $72,000 – $83,000 (depending on experience)
- Full Time Employee Benefits: We are proud to say that we have one of the leading benefit packages for Nonprofit organizations in Oregon. Highlights of our benefits package includes:
- 100% employer paid medical coverage on our “base-plan” for all enrolled employees and their eligible dependents. Three additional buy-up plans are offered.
- 34 days of paid time off every year starting from the day you are hired
- 11 company paid holidays
- Up to 12% employer contributions to an eligible employee’s 401(k) plan
- Employer paid Long Term Disability and Life Insurance coverage
- Portland State University affiliated employee benefits
- For a full list of our awesome full-time employee benefits, please visit: https://www.psuf.org/careers
PSU Foundation an EEO employer. To learn more about the foundation, our strategic direction and our financial impacts, please visit: https://www.psuf.org/about-psu-foundation
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
At PSU Foundation, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment where legally permitted are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (currently one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, plus one dose of a booster shot) to pass the pre-employment requirements. Individuals with medical issues or religious beliefs or practices that prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
To apply for this job please visit www.psuf.org.