Director of Advancement
Our Lady of Good Counsel High SchoolOlney, MD
Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, a private, Catholic, college-preparatory school in Olney, MD, seeks a talented, experienced, fundraising professional to serve as its Director of Advancement. Under the direction of the Chief Advancement Officer, the Director of Advancement develops, implements and evaluates a comprehensive major and planned giving program to result in significant financial contributions to Good Counsel. The Director of Advancement works strategically with the Chief Advancement Officer and the President to develop and manage a pool of donors at Good Counsel and targets donors capable of contributing gifts of $25,000 or larger through in-person cultivation meetings. The Director of Advancement also manages the corporate and foundation giving program identifying and cultivating corporate donors and foundation support to benefit the school.
- Manages the Community Partners Program to identify, cultivate and steward corporate donors to provide financial support for the school’s needs and programs while offering marketing benefits to businesses. Target of securing $200K in annual revenue.
- Manages a portfolio of approximately 50-75 individual major gift prospects with an emphasis on securing support for capital, scholarship or endowment projects.
- Assesses grant needs, researches foundations, and prepares and tracks proposals to corporations and foundations.
- Initiates, maintains and tracks regular contact with prospective donors, noting moves management in Raiser’s Edge.
- Coordinates strategies for capital and planned giving solicitations with key volunteers and school leadership.
- Oversees Director of Community Engagement, who manages summer camps and school rentals, with focus on building relationships with local community business leaders.
- Identify prospective planned giving donors based on loyalty, demographic and propensity to make planned giving commitments. Understands planned giving strategies and vehicles, utilizing professional consultation when necessary.
- Manages the marketing and communications plan for Good Counsel’s planned giving outreach.
- Develops and presents proposals to major gifts prospects for consideration.
- Stewards relationships with scholarship donors and manages all scholarship donor recognition to include the annual scholarship appreciation breakfast, reporting to donors, and coordinating student thank you processes with the Director of Advancement Services.
- Works with the Director of Alumni Engagement to organize and manage the Good Counsel business network.
- Solicits sponsorships for Steve Dean Golf Classic and Grand Celebration to underwrite expenses for these events.
- Serves as a liaison to the Grand Celebration (annual gala) volunteer committee to ensure adherence to budget and a successful event. Target of netting $200K or more for this fundraising event.
- Oversees and manages Advancement intern(s) in coordination with the Director of Alumni Engagement.
- Attends events and travels as needed to engage, cultivate and steward donors and prospects.
- Completes other duties as assigned to support the work of the department and further the mission of the school.
- A minimum of five or more years of progressively responsible experience in advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
- Deep appreciation and understanding of Good Counsel’s mission, including an ability to articulate its values and vision internally and externally.
- Proven track record of conceptualizing, planning, and implementing a cohesive strategy for advancement and individual fundraising campaigns.
- Excellence in building and growing long-term relationships.
- Data-driven, strategic thinker with an ability to execute strategies based on data indicators.
- Capacity to contribute to the overall strategic planning effort.
- Thorough understanding of current trends in advancement and fundraising, particularly issues facing independent schools and/or educational institutions generally.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively with executive leadership, including boards, colleagues, and volunteers.
- Ability to provide visionary leadership that inspires and motivates others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to balance multiple priorities in a complex environment.
Required Work Hours:
- A minimum of forty hours per week, plus other hours as may be necessary to complete job duties including occasional travel, evening and weekend work.
- Currently one day of every 8-day work cycle can be designated a remote work day.
Our Lady of Good Counsel High School does not discriminate in its educational and employment policies on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic origin, sex, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policy: Evelyn Nicholas, [email protected].
The annual base salary range is $100,000-$120,000 commensurate with experience. Good Counsel offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition remission (after three years), daily lunch, accrued vacation and sick time, as well as school holidays.
How to Apply:
- All applications should be emailed to Julie Potter, Chief Advancement Officer, at [email protected].
- Complete applications shall include: 1. cover letter; 2. resume; 3. contact information for three professional references.
- Review of applications will begin immediately upon receipt with priority consideration by Friday, June 16, 2023. Only complete applications submitted via email will be considered.
To apply for this job please visit www.olgchs.org.