Associate Director of Annual Giving
Montclair State UniversityMontclair, NJ
Reporting to the Director of Annual Giving, the Associate Director is responsible for the growth of online fundraising through Annual Giving digital initiatives, which include building digital campaigns, complex audience segmentation and donor engagement through numerous digital platforms. The position oversees IMPACT Montclair, Montclair State University’s crowdfunding platform, serves as the operational point person for email marketing platform and is central to the department’s digital strategy for One Day For Montclair (giving day) and Giving Tuesday.
The Associate Director works to increase donors and dollars through online efforts; and is responsible for pipeline development through the identification, engagement, cultivation and solicitation of annual gifts as well as through the development and support of targeted constituent giving programs, such as senior class gift and recent graduate leadership giving.
The Associate Director sets strategy for, and manages implementation of, broad-based digital engagement/solicitation initiatives for the Office of Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement, ensuring that all digital channels support and integrate the overall strategic objectives and operational goals of these critical functional areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage Montclair State University’s annual digital marketing fundraising program, identifying and implementing opportunities for growth in online giving and overall donor counts with keen attention to engagement and retention; setting goals and objectives; and developing action plans to achieve those goals and objectives. Continuously review and evaluate programs to develop and implement improved methods as required.
- Develop the annual solicitation strategy, planning and implementing digital tactics targeting diverse audiences of alumni, donors, parents, faculty and staff by deploying cohesive content effectively utilizing data driven decisions, including A/B testing protocol, to determine maximum impact; conduct audits to assess effectiveness.
- Manage IMPACT Montclair, the Montclair State University crowdfunding platform. Identify, cultivate and coordinate multiple crowdfunding projects annually, developing an annual crowdfunding calendar. Identify ways to strengthen the relationship between university and donor interests through guidance on best practices in solicitation content creation, creating and deploying marketing toolkits, assisting in audience identification and copy writing. Follow through on project commitments assuring that critical timelines are met.
- Project manage two large-scale giving days for the University: Giving Tuesday in the fall, and One Day for Montclair, Montclair’s Day of Giving, in the spring, along with smaller micro-campaigns throughout the year. Write copy, work with Communications to create marketing collateral, and create and deploy web assets and marketing toolkits to campus partners for various campaigns.
- Design and implement a comprehensive social media strategy for engagement/giving, including actively identifying and managing a core group of social media ambassadors/volunteers focused on the goal of encouraging peer-to-peer engagement and solicitation.
- Manage a portfolio of annual giving prospects with the responsibility for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship annually. Work to generate major gift leads through new and existing annual giving donors.
- Manage student philanthropy and senior class gift project, which includes recruiting an engaged senior class gift committee, coordinating meetings and events, developing and executing communications and the online campaign platform.
- Collaborate with the Director of Annual Giving to manage the recent graduate leadership giving program (for graduates of the last decade). Develop and execute communications, events and activities to engage and grow the program.
- Create engaging content through donor stories, and messages of philanthropic impact to deploy on giving pages, in video projects and other digital campaigns. Deploy content effectively, utilizing data to determine maximum impact; create reports to assess effectiveness of tactics.
- Establish key performance indicators for each campaign for ongoing measurements. Establish goals, and manage and create reporting for senior management regarding online activity and progress toward online giving objectives. Compile, summarize and analyze statistical and other data; prepare clear, technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Maintain integrity and appropriate confidentiality in alumni/donor engagement program operations.
- Commit to excellence and personal growth around the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion, and positively contribute to an inclusive culture.
- Develop content for volunteer marketing toolkit and manage relationships with University partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of three years relevant professional experience in an institution of higher education, or other field that is directly related to the functions of the position to be filled.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively in developing program goals, policies and procedures for assigned segments of the annual giving program.
- Strong project management and organizational skills; ability to set priorities and meet deadlines, while balancing multiple projects and performing assignments accurately.
- Basic knowledge of the principles of budget planning, development and administration.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle/access to transportation.
- Ability to work evening and weekend events in order to fulfill the principal job duties and responsibilities.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience in annual giving and/or alumni engagement in higher education.
- Knowledge of digital platforms and the ability to maximize technology to achieve goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of an alumni engagement program purpose, goals and objectives.
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Knowledge of digital fundraising best practices.
- Familiarity with and use of Raiser’s Edge and other engagement / giving platforms.
- Experience with web design, social media engagement and analytic strategies around quantitative and qualitative digital metrics for data-driven decision making.
- High comfort level with learning/use of technology platforms and ability to train others in technical aspects of digital tools and platforms.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
Additional information can be found on the website at
To apply for this job please visit montclair.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.