Assistant Director of Development & Alumni Relations
McLean SchoolPotomac, MD
McLean School (mcleanschool.org), a K-12 co-educational independent school in Potomac, Maryland, seeks applicants for an Assistant Director of Development & Alumni Relations to begin immediately. McLean School has for over sixty-five years been helping bright students realize their full potential by providing a comprehensive college preparatory program that emphasizes small classes and differentiated instruction. Through our Abilities Model®, we embrace both traditional learners and ones with mild to moderate learning challenges. We recognize and teach to individual strengths, responding to areas of challenge, but never defining students by them.
This exciting opportunity will challenge a dynamic and driven professional to establish an ambitious development plan, strengthen relationships, expand the major giving donor base, and make an impact as a key player in the emerging culture of philanthropy at McLean. The candidate will bring strategic experience, energy that inspires others to give and further relationships, and a creative approach to compelling communications in alignment with the School’s strategic priorities. The Assistant Director of Development & Alumni Relations will report directly to the Assistant Head of School for Advancement, and work closely with the Head of School and Board of Trustees. Commensurate with experience and performance, the candidate may also have the opportunity to advance into the role of Director of Development as the Assistant Head of School for Advancement assumes responsibility as Interim Co-Head of School for the 2023-2024 school year.
The Assistant Director of Development & Alumni Relations will play a leading role in identification, cultivation, and solicitation and follow-up with the most philanthropically capable families to ensure increasing levels of major gifts, planned gifts, and campaign gifts during campaign years. This position is external-facing and accomplished through collaboration with the Annual Giving Manager, Alumni Engagement Manager, and the Board of Trustees, and by effectively leveraging the skills and contributions of McLean’s parents, trustees, friends, alumni, faculty, staff, and volunteers. Fundraising aspects of responsibility include the Annual Celebration & Fundraiser, major gifts, grants, special fundraising events as well as future capital campaigns and planned giving.
- Collaboratively designs, implements, and oversees a comprehensive short-term, annual, and long-range fundraising program to build a culture of philanthropy and secure significant financial resources from trustees, parents, alumni, foundations and others to support McLean’s mission and strategic priorities.
- Oversees all major fundraising efforts and programs, including leadership annual giving, major gifts, special fundraising events, grants, capital campaigns, planned giving, donor prospecting and research, and office administration to meet or exceed annual and long range development plan income goals.
- In coordination with the Assistant Head of School for Advancement, leads and coordinates the efforts in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of major gift donors ($2,500+) with a focus on building long-term relationships with top prospects and donors.
- Manages a portfolio of 100-150 leadership annual giving donors, sets clear goals for cultivation strategies, executes such strategies that result in the highest level ask for the School’s fundraising priorities and provides reporting of progress towards goals.
- Works collaboratively with the Annual Giving Manager, the Alumni Engagement Manager, and the Parent Engagement Coordinator.
- Actively guides and supports the Assistant Head of School for Advancement and Board Development Committee to evaluate annual giving programs, and develop goals and objectives for the following year.
- Develop and present an annual development plan to the Board of Trustees, and collaborates with Trustees to cultivate and steward major gift donors, and identify new individual and corporate funding opportunities to reach fundraising goals.
- Attends and participates in a variety of fundraising, stewardship, community-building, and campus events throughout the year in order to stay informed, connected, and updated on school activities.
- Articulate a compelling case for support to all constituents; responsible for collaborating on overall priorities with the Assistant Head of School for Advancement.
- With the Assistant Head of School for Advancement, draft and implement Gift Policies and A Philanthropy Education Action Plan that will help to educate and inspire members of the McLean community.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-7 years of fundraising and related organizational development experience.
- Demonstrated success cultivating and securing leadership and major gifts.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge or similar relationship development software.
- A charismatic, experienced, action-oriented leader who creates enthusiasm in giving.·
- Demonstrated experience managing people and building team relationships.
- Ability to manage and lead professional and volunteer staff, including recruiting, training, and professional development.
- Highly detailed individual with strong work ethic and follow-up.
- Ability to establish clear directions and sets goals, objectives, and benchmarks.
McLean School is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, genetic status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please contact Executive Support Manager, Robin Speller.
Interested applicants should fill out an online Application, and upload their Cover Letter and Résumé.
To apply for this job please visit mcleanschool.bamboohr.com.