Director for Athletic Development
McDaniel CollegeWestminster, MD
Reporting to the AVP/Director of Development, the Director of Athletic Development oversees the design and execution of the College’s athletic giving program to secure support for McDaniel athletics. The Director is responsible for raising $1-2 million per fiscal year in major gifts through the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of alumni, parents and friends (annual goal may be adjusted due to extenuating circumstances such as the economy but will be established prior to the start of each FY in coordination with the VP for Institutional Advancement and the AVP). The Director will design and implement an athletic reunion program in close collaboration with the Director of Annual Giving. The Director will recruit and lead the athletic ambassador volunteer board in support of the College athletic program.
This position often serves as the first and/or main point of contact to the College for athletic giving donors so it is imperative to represent the College with accuracy and high standards. This is a full-time position with a hiring range of $72K-$77K.
- Discover, cultivate, and solicit athletic support by making 10-15 contacts per month and closing 12-30 gifts of $25,000 or greater per year; record all discovery, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship in Raiser’s Edge.
- Write and submit 30-50 proposals for College athletic priorities and involve vice presidents and athletic administration where applicable.
- Steward athletic donors by reviewing acknowledgement documents; preparing narrative and financial reports; communicating with donors on an ongoing basis via email, mail, phone, and face-to-face meetings; and coordinating meetings and site visits with College senior leadership and athletic leadership.
- Develop athletic giving plan for pool of 100-125 donors and prospects.
- Attend athletic events and College functions as necessary; serve as resource staff to Institutional Advancement Committee and future “President’s Roundtable,” as necessary.
- Support the College’s constituent engagement model by assisting with joint efforts related to advancement, athletics and admissions and other integrated plans that impact multiple areas of the College.
- Take continuing professional development courses in focused on athletic giving; monitor daily/weekly/month listservs, newsletters and other resources related to athletic giving trends, issues and opportunities.
- Support the overall goals of Advancement by helping events and activities of others in the department as the needs arise.
- Flexible and available for evening, weekend or early morning events and meetings.
- The ability to travel as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned (for example, serving on college search committees, task forces, and other committees).
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience fundraising in athletics, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated success in the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of athletic prospects is required.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment to achieve institutional goals.
- Strong analytical and independent decision-making capability required.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required.
- Strong project management, leadership, organizational planning skills with the ability to set priorities and balance concurrent tasks.
- Proficiency in data-based systems and business software is essential.
- Flexible and available for evening, weekend, or early morning events and meetings.
- Ability to travel as needed to manage a prospect portfolio.
- Must have valid driver’s license with two points or less.
The overall setting of the job is in an area conducive to a normal office environment with minimal exposure to adverse conditions.
This position requires sitting for long periods of time, as well as some bending and stooping when working with files. This position does have some limited lifting involved but not more than 10 pounds at a time. Quite a bit of finger/hand dexterity is involved regarding typing and/or filing.
McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran’s status or any other legally protected status. For more information on the College’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, please visit https://www.mcdaniel.edu/about-us/diversity-equity-inclusion.
To apply for this job please visit mcdaniel.interviewexchange.com.
- Next s