Assistant Director of Annual Giving & Alumni Communications
McDaniel CollegeWestminster, MD
About McDaniel College:
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “Colleges that Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement accounts, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave. For more information about the college’s benefits, please click here to review the 2023 benefits guidebook.
Click here to see how McDaniel College employees impact the lives of students.
Under the direction of the Director of Annual Giving, the Assistant Director of Annual Giving & Alumni Communications, will be responsible for managing a portfolio of annual giving donors with the goal of raising $250,000-$500,000 annually (annual goal may be adjusted due to extenuating circumstances such as the economy but will be established prior to the start of each FY in coordination with the Director of Annual Giving and the AVP for Institutional Advancement) . They will work with alumni volunteers to establish a goal and coordinate fundraising efforts for the 15th and 20th milestone reunion classes each year. Additionally, the Assistant Director will manage all data requests for Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement solicitations, outreach, communications, and projects and use the email management platform to send digital communications, which includes email and the monthly alumni and donor and parent e-newsletters. They will work with the Office of Communications and Marketing to coordinate the distribution of the monthly e-newsletter as well as coordinate social media messaging with the alumni social media platforms. The Assistant Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Communications will assist, as needed with key fundraising initiatives, including giving challenges such as One Hill, One Day, will attend signature events, including Homecoming, Parent and Family Weekend, and Alumni Weekend/Reunions, and other duties as assigned. The hiring range for this position is $43,500-$45,500.
- Manage a portfolio of alumni, completing 5-7 meaningful contacts monthly by identifying, cultivating, and personally soliciting alumni in support of the Fund for McDaniel and college philanthropic priorities.
- Oversee all fundraising aspects of 15th and 20th year reunion programs, working to engage, steward, and solicit increased commitment and annual support in conjunction with their respective reunion committees.
- Manage all email communications for the Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement departments.
- Manage all McDaniel College alumni social media accounts. Including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Collaborate with the Office of Communications and Marketing and Advancement Services to put together and send out monthly email newsletters to the McDaniel community providing timely news and updates from the college to its constituents.
- Keep a calendar of planned email and digital communications and social media posts coming from Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement to ensure coordination of messaging.
- Collaborate with Advancement Services to request lists for Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement projects, maintain the database and provide accurate data to contracted vendors.
- Participate in annual and long-range strategic planning for the Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement departments.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Director of Annual Giving.
- Bachelor’s degree with two years of fundraising, alumni relations, sales or similar experience.
- Proven success in working with volunteers.
- Experience in managing a business or an organization’s social media account(s) and digital communications.
- Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends to meet with volunteers, donors and support event programming.
- Effective writing, statistical analysis, data management (Excel), and customer service skills required.
- Strong commitment to private liberal arts education; undergraduate or graduate experience at McDaniel College preferred.
- Creative, articulate self-starter who possesses strong interpersonal, problem-solving, communication, and organizational skills.
- The ability to work in an environment that encourages consensus building, teamwork, collegial decision-making, and accountability for results is essential.
- Effective time management, planning and organizational skills are critical.
- Must possess tact, diplomacy, and discretion in confidential matters.
The overall setting of the job is in an area conducive to a normal office environment with minimal exposure to adverse conditions.
This position requires sitting for long periods of time, as well as some bending and stooping when working with files. This position does have some limited lifting involved but not more than 10 pounds at a time. Quite a bit of finger/hand dexterity is involved regarding typing and/or filing. The overall setting of the job is in an area conducive to a normal office environment with minimal exposure to adverse conditions.
McDaniel College is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the student body. McDaniel College, in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including protective hairstyle, race, religion, color, ancestry or national origin, disability, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran’s status, or any other actual or perceived legally protected characteristics. For more information on the College’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.mcdaniel.edu/about-us/diversity-equity-inclusion.
Completed applications must include a cover letter addressing position qualifications and related experience, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Review of applications begins immediately.
To apply for this job please visit mcdaniel.interviewexchange.com.