Director of Annual Giving
Haverford CollegeHaverford, PA
Haverford College invites applications for our full-time (at least 37.5 hours per week), exempt, benefits-eligible Director of Annual Giving opportunity.
Built upon a Quaker foundation of hands-on, values-based learning, Haverford fosters a transformative, inclusive community of inquisitive students, exceptional faculty, and dedicated staff who are wholly invested in the institution. Haverford instills in its students self-directed leadership and active engagement within the College and beyond, leading to an alumni constituency, including parents, families, friends, and more, who believe deeply in the College’s mission and are committed to Haverford’s long-term success and sustainability in an ever-changing landscape.
The next decade will be a time of significant transformation and growth as Haverford approaches the 200th anniversary of its founding in 1833. This is an exciting time to join Haverford’s Institutional Advancement (IA) team – a team whose work helps to strengthen the unique learning experience at the core of the College’s mission. With a people-first, data-driven approach to philanthropy, the IA team builds and stewards relationships with the College’s deep constituency base. Under new leadership and with a focus on the future, the IA team is expanding its impact by leading a comprehensive, multi-faceted campaign aligned with Haverford’s forthcoming strategic plan. As the campaign ramps up, the team is looking for enthusiastic and dedicated philanthropy professionals who want to innovate and usher Haverford College into a new era.
The Director of Annual Giving oversees a team working to strengthen and cultivate a culture of giving to the College. The Director is responsible for designing and implementing Annual Fund campaign strategies to inspire and motivate philanthropic support for Haverford through a myriad of traditional and innovative annual giving approaches, optimizing direct mail, email, texting, social media, and the College’s volunteer corps. The focus of the Annual Giving team is on donor acquisition and donor retention, constantly and deliberately expanding the number and breadth of philanthropic engagement by members of the greater global Haverford community with particular focus on attracting donors from underrepresented constituent segments.
- Design and implement a multiyear, multifaceted strategy for annual giving ensuring alignment with the overall IA philanthropy strategy
- Oversee the management of activities to achieve participation and annual giving goals
- Develop and execute on a clear approach for donor acquisition, retention, and reactivation
- In collaboration with colleagues across IA and Haverford, develop, implement, and steward a myriad of new annual giving programs such as: a peer-driven faculty and staff giving program that amplifies philanthropic support by Haverford employees; a student philanthropy program to heighten students’ understanding of, and appreciation for, the impact of philanthropy on their education with the goal of increasing student participation and dollars raised; and a digital gifts program that focuses on raising participation with new constituency groups
- Recalibrate the reunion volunteer program to be more inclusive and action-focused, including revamping volunteer roles and responsibilities
- Provide direction and oversight for three giving days annually (Fall for the Ford, GameDay, and Spring for Haverford) with deliberate strategies to heighten participation, increase dollars, and create a sense of joy and community
- In collaboration with colleagues across IA and Haverford, develop and implement strategies for constituent-specific appeals using segmentation and data to personalize those appeals and elevate participation such as: creating strategies and communications for the Board Chair to conduct appeals with the Board of Managers, and organizing and completing the appeals for members of the Corporation of Haverford College 5
- Actively manage the Annual Giving donor table by monitoring gifts, collaborating with Gift Officers, and tracking leadership LYBUNTs/outstanding asks
- Partner with Advancement Operations colleagues to ensure robust tracking, reporting, and identification of data and trends
- Lead the annual giving team in designing and implementing strategies for moving individuals from one giving level to the next within the annual giving range, increasing the number of donors in the $1,833 society and those who can make one-time or multiyear gifts up to $25,000
- Manage an assigned prospective donor portfolio to ensure proper qualification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospects at the $1,833-$25,000 level
- Collaborate with Philanthropy Team colleagues for donor migration, particularly from Annual Giving to Leadership Gifts, Major Gifts, and Planned Gifts
- Manage a team of 4-5 direct reports who lead the Annual Giving programs
- Establish appropriate management metrics and monitor staff progress against established goals on an ongoing basis
- Implement best practices in managing teams, providing regular guidance, support, and mentorship
Line of Report: The Director of Annual Giving reports to the Assistant Vice President of Philanthropy and Campaign Director. The Director of Annual Giving will have 4-5 direct reports.
Work Location: This position will be eligible for a hybrid work schedule, pursuant to the College’s Work Location Policy.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant experience
- 3 years of work experience in an office environment
- Several years of philanthropic experience including annual giving experience in a comprehensive fundraising campaign environment
- Proven success in donor cultivation and soliciting gifts from individuals
- Experience and demonstrated success in designing and implementing annual giving strategies
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers
- Strong organizational and interpersonal abilities including using diplomacy and discretion while maintaining confidentiality
- Effective communication skills, creativity, and demonstrated success in managing multiple projects
- Technological proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and mail merge, PowerPoint), Google Suite (documents, forms, sheets), MailChimp (or similar email system), BaseCamp (or other project management system), and Raiser’s Edge
- Experience working in a college or university setting
- Possession of a valid U.S. Drivers’ License and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record check
- Ability to work some weekends and nights as needed to fulfill responsibilities
- Ability to travel regionally or nationally (<10%)
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to apply, including a cover letter, resume and three references, by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Director-of-Annual-Giving_R519. The application deadline is October 1, 2023. Application review will begin after the deadline has passed. Please email [email protected] with questions about submitting your materials. Should the search committee be interested in pursuing your candidacy, you will hear from them directly.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.
To apply for this job please visit haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.