Director of Donor Relations
Eastern Virginia Medical SchoolNorfolk, VA
Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) in Norfolk, VA is an academic health center dedicated to achieving excellence in medical and health professions education, research and patient care. We strive to improve the health of our community and to be recognized as a national center of intellectual and clinical strength in medicine. As one of the nation’s only academic medical centers founded and funded by its local community, EVMS serves as an integral community partner to industry organizations, academic institutions, health-care entities and area municipalities, while also being a primary economic driver and health-care workforce developer for the Hampton Roads region. For more than 40 years, EVMS has translated research and discovery into better patient care, and served as a catalyst for the region’s medical renaissance. Today, along with educating physicians, we offer health professions programs designed to meet emerging health-care needs, as well as the demands of an ever-expanding health-care job market that affect lives around the block—and around the world.
The Opportunity: The Director of Donor Relations is an integral member of the Donor Relations team and the EVMS Development office. The Director is responsible for designing, implementing and coordinating an institution-wide, comprehensive stewardship program that appropriately and consistently promotes interaction with and recognition of donors at all levels. This position’s role is to sustain positive and mutually-rewarding relations between EVMS and its donors; partner with development directors to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of donors; maintain ongoing and active networking with internal and external constituencies; coordinate recognition events for major gift donors and coordinate various activities for the EVMS’s giving donor societies and manage the donor social media and electronic communication platforms. The position will provide new strategies to continually expand and ultimately lead to a culture of engagement and participation for donors and will work closely with campus partners such as medical education, school of health professions, student affairs, admissions and academic departments to build significant pathways for donor participation, as well as collaborate and work in conjunction with development and alumni staff.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of experience in fundraising, public relations, communications or related field. Must have experience in progressively more responsible management positions within relevant field. The successful candidate will:
- Thorough understanding of a development operation in a complex environment.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and see projects through to a timely completion. Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategies for achieving operating goals.
- Experience in budget planning and oversight.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience with complex database required.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills, as well as problem-solving, research and analytical skills.
- Must be willing to travel and must have a driver’s license. Occasional weekend and evening work will be required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Management and Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct and indirect reports include Assistant Director of Donor Relations and Gift Compliance Officer.
Full details about the position, requirements, and applying for this position can be found by searching for Director of Donor Relations at this link: https://careers-evms.icims.com/jobs/
EVMS is EOE/including disability and veterans, and Drug and Tobacco Free workplace.
To apply for this job please visit careers-evms.icims.com.