Leadership Annual Gift Officer, Athletics
Colby CollegeWaterville, ME
Over the past five years, outreach efforts to communicate the value and impact of a Colby education have resulted in more than doubling the number of students seeking admission to Colby and setting several institutional records for funds raised. Major initiatives made possible through Colby’s campaign, Dare Northward, are enriching the student experience and positioning Colby’s home city, Waterville, as a destination for the arts and culture.
Propelled by visionary leadership, a compelling array of initiatives, and record fundraising in fiscal year 2017, Colby launched its largest fundraising campaign ever—$750 million—in October 2017. With the success of the Dare Northward campaign, the College will be known for a distinctive set of multidisciplinary academic offerings; an even more cohesive and accessible institutional culture for students from all backgrounds; the foremost art and athletic and recreation facilities in the educational sector; a welcoming, thriving, and dynamic surrounding community; increased global connections and resulting perspectives; the richest set of universal student experiences to enhance the Colby academic program; and the capacity to support the postgraduate success of every one of their students
Thus far, more than 25,000 alumni and friends have made donations in support of initiatives such as the downtown Waterville revitalization, academic partnerships, financial aid, and global experiences and internships—collectively raising more than $650 million to date toward the Dare Northward campaign. Furthermore, Colby has increased annual giving from approximately $6-million to over $11-million in 2020. At the same time the College’s cash and assets have grown from $20-million annually to over $70-million in 2020. With over 60 $1-million+ donors to the Dare Northward campaign and 15 donors at over $5 million, Colby is poised to exceed the $750 million goal. Colby now ranks as a national leader among the nation’s colleges and universities in alumni giving participation. To learn about the Colby Dare Northward campaign, visit https://darenorthward.colby.edu/.
The College is seeking a highly motivated leadership annual gift officer at an exciting and defining moment in Colby’s history. This key position offers a unique opportunity to be part of an ambitious and transformational campaign. Reporting to the director of athletics fundraising, the leadership annual gift officer is responsible for the qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of Colby College alumni, parents, and friends capable of making leadership annual gifts. The leadership annual gift officer will solicit prospective donors to the Colby Fund for gifts of $2,500 to $100,000 and will collaborate regularly with colleagues in leadership gifts, planned giving, and class giving to ensure prospects are solicited comprehensively. The leadership annual gift officer carries their own portfolio of approximately 250 individual prospects within specific geographic regions and functions in a discovery role. In addition to annual fundraising goals, this position will identify new major- and principal-gift prospects through superior qualification work and will participate in the engagement activities of the Friends of Colby Athletics groups. A highly visible representative of the College, the leadership annual gift officer has a deep appreciation for the liberal arts college experience and a strong personal commitment to Colby’s core values with a comprehensive understanding of best practices for annual giving engagement.
To learn more about Colby Advancement careers and institutional initiatives, please visit http://colby.edu/advancement-careers. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Build and expand the engagement of Colby’s leadership annual prospect pool; identify strategies and opportunities to align Colby alumni, parents, and friends with College priorities as a key component of the Dare Northward campaign
- Qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward Colby alumni, parents, and friends capable of making leadership annual fund gifts and contributions toward the Dare Northward campaign up to, and including at $100,000
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of Colby’s strategic priorities and goals
- Participate in execution of events and programs in support of development activities, engage key volunteers and effectively utilize events and other activities to move solicitations forward
- Solicit leadership annual and capital gifts working with donors directly and working with department colleagues and volunteers, to include developing and managing proposals
- Qualify prospective donors for potential major gift capacity and interests, noting appropriate background on prospects to funnel to Leadership Gift portfolios
- Partner with the communications and engagement team to create and implement an annual strategic plan that achieves the annual dollar and participation goals for athletics within the Colby Fund
- Work collaboratively with peers in other fundraising areas to maximize fundraising productivity
- Participate in professional development training offered by the College, Division of College Advancement, and professional associations to enhance expertise and skills
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- 3-5 years of fundraising or related experience; demonstrated success in making direct solicitations, preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Organizational and time management skills are essential, as is the ability to work effectively both as part of a team and independently
- Professional conduct and appropriate handling of confidential information is required
- Attention to detail and accuracy are critical
- Talent to manage multiple projects and priorities while working within deadlines to achieve ambitious goals
- Prior experience managing volunteers, the ability to manage complex relationships, and proven collaboration and teamwork skills in a diverse community to leverage activities, initiatives, and programs for multiple purposes
- Understanding of the Moves Management process and ability to think and work strategically
- Willingness to travel and to work hours outside the normal working day (i.e. nights and weekends)
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
- Appreciation of Colby’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it
Reporting to the director of athletics fundraising, the leadership annual gift officer will have direct contact with various members of the Division of College Advancement, College Administration, alumni, families, and students.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. Ability to move around campus and interact with faculty, staff, students, parents/alumni, and external constituencies regularly is crucial. Travel and work outside of normal business hours are required. The option to work remotely will be considered on a case by case basis.
Conditions of Employment:
Successful and satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check). All students, faculty, and staff who are present on campus must be vaccinated and boostered against COVID-19, unless granted an exemption or accommodation by the College.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the “Apply” button on the Colby Careers website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Leadership Annual Gift Officer – Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
To apply for this job please visit colby.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.