Director of Advancement
Botanical Garden of the PiedmontCharlottesville, VA
Botanical Garden of the Piedmont (BGP) is a 15-acre, growing community resource located in McIntire Park, near the heart of Charlottesville, Virginia. The Garden’s mission is to add to the overall quality of life for residents of Charlottesville and the surrounding communities, attract tourism and support the local economy.
We are seeking an experienced, collaborative and self-motivated fundraising and marketing professional to serve as the Director of Advancement (DoA). This is a full-time role to help lead the development of a public garden as it progresses through the design phase followed by its build out. A successful candidate will oversee and manage both the Philanthropic and Marketing efforts for the Garden.
The DoA must have excellent non-profit development and marketing skills along with an in-depth knowledge of a non-profit organization. The DoA will report to the Executive Director (ED), will work in collaboration with the ED, and will be the lead team member responsible for Philanthropy and Marketing. Confidentiality is essential to this position.
The DoA will be responsible for developing and managing vital revenue streams which will allow the Garden to maximize its impact in the community. He/she will be responsible for the Garden’s Capital Campaign, the annual giving program, will oversee related program staff, as well as drive all development related events, communication, and marketing initiatives. In coordination with the ED and BGP’s Treasurer, the DoA will help develop and maintain budgets for both Philanthropy and Marketing. The DoA will set priorities and expectations for Philanthropy and Marketing as well as respective staff; maintain comprehensive metrics to track areas of success and will report regularly to the ED and the Board of Directors, and relevant volunteer Committees.
- Proven track record of driving successful fundraising campaigns
- Keen understanding of basic fundraising principles and best practices in the areas of communications, and development
- Strong prospect identification and qualification skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Proficiency in donor database software
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certification for Fundraising
- Minimum five or more years of fundraising or non-profit experience
The DoA will lead all philanthropic revenue streams including the capital campaign, annual giving program, a grants program, sponsorships, and additional development related events. The DoA will:
- Plan, manage and execute the Capital Campaign for the Garden
- Work with Capital Campaign Committee (CCC) Chairs to plan meetings and implement strategies
- Work collaboratively with the CCC to develop a portfolio of potential donors by identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding prospects and existing donors
- Prepare and provide as needed, all written materials for meetings and presentations with existing and potential donors
- Develop strategy and manage relationships with current and potential donors
- Supervise the Annual Fund Manager who will plan and execute the BGP Annual Fund which will support the operating budget
- Oversee the annual campaign and connect with Development volunteer leadership and oversee staff for fall and spring appeals
- Develop strategy for corporate donations, sponsorships, and partnerships to the Garden
- Research and develop appropriate fundraising programs and events
- Oversee establishment of a new membership program and build on it as the Garden progresses
- Oversee electronic the merchandise program
- Design and execute cultivation, celebration, stewardship, fundraising events
- Oversee the grant subcommittee in collaboration with ED – including identifying, researching and writing grants to secure funding to help further BGP’s mission
- Oversee policies, procedures and maintenance of the donor records, prospect management and additional reports through eTapestry
- Oversee the gift acknowledgement process with Administrative Assistant
The DoA will be the lead team member responsible for marketing the organization in collaboration with the ED, Marketing Committee, and graphic designer.
- Oversee development and execution of the marketing strategic plan and schedule working with the Marketing team and graphic design consultant
- Oversee development and execution of all aspects of marketing for events
- Develop and produce the Annual Report
- Oversee content and updates to all marketing vehicles including BGP website, social media channels, newsletter, and all marketing collateral materials
- Work with BGP’s Administrative Assistant using metrics to guide the development of BGP website as along with social media presence into a community engagement and information resource
- Manage BGP public relations with local media including drafting press releases, scheduling interviews, and arranging coverage of BGP events with assistance of marketing team
Commensurate with experience. BGP offers a competitive package including salary, benefits and vacation.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jill Trischman-Marks at [email protected]
Botanical Garden of the Piedmont brings people of all ages and backgrounds together as a community to celebrate and nurture our native flora and fauna. The organization embraces inclusion by inviting everyone to participate in the Garden whether they be visitors, supporters, volunteers, or staff, to further our goal of being a place that promotes human and environmental well-being. In nature and in society, diversity matters—we welcome and celebrate it! For more information, visit https://piedmontgarden.org
Botanical Garden of the Piedmont is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and community that is free of all forms of discrimination.
To apply for this job please visit piedmontgarden.org.