Assistant Director of Business Development
Kenan Institute of Private EnterpriseChapel Hill, NC
Established in 1985 by Frank Hawkins Kenan, the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise is a nonpartisan business policy think tank affiliated with the UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School. The nonprofit institute and its affiliated centers convene leaders from the private sector, academic community and government to build a greater understanding of how entrepreneurship, economic development and global commerce can work for the public good. The institute leverages best-in-class research to develop market-based solutions to today’s most complex economic challenges. In doing so, the institute aims to support businesses and policies that better the lives of people in North Carolina, across the country and around the world.
The Assistant Director of Business Development will build new relationships and expand existing partnerships with corporations to advance the mission of the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise. The Assistant Director will also act as a liaison between the institute and its business partners with the goal of further developing the organization’s unique brand of thought leadership in the corporate community. Specifically, the Assistant Director will work to: – Develop and execute a corporate engagement strategy on behalf of the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise, in concert with other partners at the Kenan-Flagler Business School.
- Develop and grow deep, sustainable corporate partnerships essential to the long term advancement of the Institute and its affiliated centers
- Directly solicit, cultivate, engage, and steward partnerships, corporate members, sponsors and other champions for the Institute’s programs and interests.
- Provide key program management expertise to corporate partnership programs central to the Institute’s long term success
- Engage and solicit key stakeholders in support of Institute and affiliated center programs
- Develop partnership opportunities related to the institute’s strategic initiatives
- Develop new internal business processes and supporting programs to support affiliated centers and other institute initiatives.
- Expand corporate funding & philanthropic opportunities – Enhance the brand of the Institute by increasing the visibility of current corporate support & engagement
- Identify mutual research interests and thought leadership activities to engage faculty with key corporate partners
In addition to cultivating outside partners, the Assistant Director will work collaboratively with the KenanFlagler business partnership office, affiliated research centers, corporate and foundation relations, advancement, faculty, and, alumni and across the University. This position will report to the Managing Director of the Kenan Institute.
Mimimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required (or foreign degree equivalent) with three years or greater of related professional experience; for candidates demonstrating comparable professional backgrounds, will accept a relevant Bachelor’s degree (or foreign degree equivalent) and five years or greater of relevant experience in substitution.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experiences:
Minimum 1 year of professional-level, direct solicitation/fundraising experience required. Minimum of 3 years of work experience in a business-related or non-profit field such as relationship management, business development, program management, sales or higher education in areas such as corporate relations or employer relations.
- Ability to set and achieve goals in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated initiative, and the ability to work adeptly with a number of teams and partners towards a common goal
- Strong execution and follow-through on key relationship building activities
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Strong organizational and project management
- Deep commitment to customer service and natural client-service mentality
- Ability to travel 25% of the time for domestic company meetings required, some international travel may also be required.
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experiences:
Experience working with C-level executives preferred, Salesforce experience a plus.
To apply for this job please visit unc.peopleadmin.com.