Major Gifts Officer
Eastern Virginia Medical SchoolNorfolk, VA
Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) in Norfolk, VA is an academic health center dedicated to achieving excellence in medical and health professions education, research and patient care. We strive to improve the health of our community and to be recognized as a national center of intellectual and clinical strength in medicine. As one of the nation’s only academic medical centers founded and funded by its local community, EVMS serves as an integral community partner to industry organizations, academic institutions, health-care entities and area municipalities, while also being a primary economic driver and health-care workforce developer for the Hampton Roads region. For more than 40 years, EVMS has translated research and discovery into better patient care, and served as a catalyst for the region’s medical renaissance. Today, along with educating physicians, we offer health professions programs designed to meet emerging health-care needs, as well as the demands of an ever-expanding health-care job market that affect lives around the block—and around the world.
EVMS seeks a highly energetic professional to join an award winning development team in the role of Major Gifts Officer. Recognized as the area’s Outstanding Nonprofit Organization in 2014 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals Hampton Roads Chapter National Philanthropy Day event, EVMS has developed creative, resourceful and inspired campaigns, initiatives, projects and techniques that have grown and increased our fundraising infrastructure, program and results.
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will work collaboratively and strategically with the director of development, development staff, senior management, academic leadership, other campus and volunteer leaders at EVMS. The MGO will be responsible for soliciting gifts of $25,000 and higher from individuals (alumni/non-alumni friends) and manage relationships in a portfolio of 150 prospective donors and will be expected to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these individuals. The MGO should have experience in developing strategic funding opportunities to include creation of business plans, milestones/timelines, outcomes metrics and financial requirements for building budgets for sustainable programs. The MGO will focus on securing support for a set of campus-wide priorities that include funding for academic programs, research, academic honors, scholarships, unrestricted support, scientific/clinical equipment, and campus improvements.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and 7 years successful experience in major or planned gift fundraising preferably in higher education and/or healthcare setting. Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) accreditation is an asset. The successful candidate will have:
- Be an experienced professional that can handle complex situations with tact and pose. Successful experience in developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Be able to articulate the case for support so that individuals “buy in” to the vision, mission, and goals and with sufficient effectiveness to secure gifts at assigned donor giving levels.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse areas.
- The ability to translate complicated scientific/clinical information for non-medical audience.
- The ability to interface with international, leading faculty, administrators and trustees.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or related database; Microsoft Office skills are required.
- Knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates.
- The ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and EVMS.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills, as well as problem-solving, research and analytical skills.
- Must be willing to travel and must have a driver’s license. Weekend and evening work will be required.
Full details about the position, requirements, and applying for this position can be found by searching for Major Gifts Officer at this link: https://careers-evms.icims.com/jobs/
EVMS is EOE/including disability and veterans, and Drug and Tobacco Free workplace.
To apply for this job please visit careers-evms.icims.com.