Director of Multicultural Advancement
Duke Alumni Engagement & DevelopmentDurham, NC
This position reports to the Assistant Vice President for Multicultural Advancement to help develop and implement strategies, manage day-to-day decisions for affinity-based programs and develop the overall comprehensive program. Supervise and develop the two Program Coordinators and Staff Assistant. Solicit funds for Multicultural Advancement. Coordinates the activities of diverse alumni volunteers regionally and the national board. Champion affinity-interest groups organizational and engagement activities.
Program Management – Affinity-Based Programs
- Manage the interaction between the university community, alumni, parents and friends of Duke through organizational assistance, supervision, and coordination with affinity alumni in planning and conducting a variety of social, educational, and community service activities and events.
- Facilitate and lead the recruiting, training, motivation and supervision of volunteers who are necessary and vital participants in the implementation of the goals and activities of campus engagement programs.
- Facilitate the Affinity Group Leadership Council and develop activities and programs for the annual Affinity Group Leaders Forum
- Plan and coordinate all activities of the affinity-based programs including any regionally based events as well as on-campus activities during homecoming and reunion weekends. Lend organizational assistance to in planning programs, arranging for diverse speakers and coordinating the preparation, publication and advance publicity mailings for these events.
- Lead the development and expansion of affinity group programs goals, objectives, and strategies and lead the implementation thereof. Recommend areas for the establishment of new affinity communities and/or affinity programs and assist in the recruitment of members for both new and established affinity communities.
- Work closely with Special Events, Regional Team, and Forever Learning Team to amplify diverse constituents’ voices.
- Nominate diverse constituents for awards and for university wide board service.
- Develop content and curriculum for trainings and resources for diverse alumni volunteers
Fundraising, Cultivation and Stewardship
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major diverse donors
- Educate fundraising staff and volunteer leaders on diverse philanthropy and engagement initiatives
- Manage portfolio of donors and prospects via wealth screening tools
- Assist in pipeline development for diverse representation for university wide volunteer engagement initiatives
- Manage team members on Multicultural Adancement including the Program Coordinators and Staff Assistant. Coordinate recruitment and hiring as needed. Set employee standards and conduct employee performance reviews.
- Serves as responsible financial representative for designated budget and support accurate financial reporting as coordinated by transactional initiator for department
- Supervise affinity program budgets. Assume responsibility for ensuring sound fiscal management of assigned affinity groups.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Ability to Influence
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Organizational Awareness
- Goal and Task Management
- Planning, Prioritization, and Multitasking
- Expresses Ideas Orally or In Writing
- Promotes Inclusiveness
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education/Training: Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree program.
Experience: Work requires four years of experience in alumni affairs, public relations, program administration, marketing or related field to acquire the advanced skills necessary to direct the planning and coordination of social, educational, and community service activities and events. Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
To apply for this job please visit careers.duke.edu.