Director, Major Gifts
Bryant UniversitySmithfield, RI
The Bryant University Advancement team is committed to developing and strengthening alumni relationships by delivering meaningful engagement and inspiring philanthropy in service of Bryant’s interdisciplinary educational mission and the University’s strategic plan, Vision 2030. In tandem with the AVP for Development, this position is accountable for designing, developing, and implementing the major gift program. This position will lead a team of top-performing gift officers to generate impactful philanthropic results, including goal setting and tracking progress toward team objectives. Responsible for managing and cultivating relationships with existing major gift prospects and the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors among Bryant’s alumni, parents, and friends. The ability of the Director to engage potential contributors, determine their interests and match them to the needs of the University, and assist these individuals in making gifts of $25,000 or more, will be critical to Bryant’s success in the coming years.
- Manage a pool of approximately 200 -250 assigned major gift prospects serving as primary Bryant contact through personal visits, correspondence, attendance at cultivation events, etc.
- Promote a culture of coaching and accountability for gift officers at various levels of experience.
- Develop appropriate prospect cultivation strategies, determining potential giving opportunities and optimal gift levels; provide regular reports of all activities through designated reporting methods and inputting information in Development’s CRM database.
- Meet assigned goals for prospect visits and dollars raised, as well as other performance metrics, to be determined annually. Requires regular travel.
- Recruit and manage assigned volunteers and assist them in their fund-raising assignments.
- Maintain knowledge of planned giving arrangements, pertinent tax laws and other factors that will impact and facilitate donors’ ability to make substantial gifts. Collaborate closely with Bryant’s Planned Giving Officer to ensure prospects are able to achieve their philanthropic goals though planned and/or blended gift options.
- Effectively recruit, train, motivate and supervise assigned staff to work as a team in meeting division goals, and ensuring that supervisory practices are in compliance with the spirit and intent of the University’s policy on diversity and EEO/AA guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position is best filled by an individual with an undergraduate degree, advanced degree preferred; at least five years of demonstrated success in fund raising and capital campaigns, preferably in a higher education setting; experience in recruiting, motivating and managing volunteers in successful fund raising efforts; knowledge of and success in devising blended and planned gift solicitations; ability to plan and think strategically; detail-oriented, but able to manage multiple projects simultaneously; strong interpersonal, writing and communications skills. Microsoft Office Suite and CRM Ellucian Database experience is a plus. Certain requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities. Travel and non-standard hours are required.
Bryant University recognizes that its position as a leader in higher education is greatly determined both by the diversity of its campus community and its intellectual endeavors. Its commitment to link academic and social diversity for the benefit of the learning and living environment reflects its belief that excellence and diversity are mutually reinforcing objectives. We are committed to building an equitable and inclusive campus community, one that values individual difference and fosters greater understanding of the many facets of diversity and other distinctive characteristics that make us different. We encourage applications from candidates with an appreciation for and understanding of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Learn more about our ongoing commitment to building a community of inclusive excellence.
To apply for this job please visit employment.bryant.edu.