Annual Giving Manager
Bowie State UniversityBowie, MD
Desired Start Date
$70,000 – $80,000
Duties and Responsibilities
This position will lead the university’s efforts to increase annual individual giving from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and students. Duties as follows:
- The Annual Giving Manager works collaboratively with: volunteers, development staff, student callers, alumni engagement staff, and other university stakeholders to solicit gifts up to $25,000 from individuals.
- The Annual Giving Manager will oversee all daily operational facets of Annual Giving. Analyze giving and trend data, performance statistics, engagement scores and other predictive indices to determine the strategic vision, goal setting, program implementation, assessment, and daily management of Annual Giving activities, volunteers and student callers.
- Devise, implement and evaluate a year-round donor retention, acquisition, and cultivation program; develop a robust strategy for increasing recurring gifts; build strategies for acquiring new donors, with an emphasis on increasing undergraduate alumni participation; and leverage donor segmentations to develop tailored and specialized fundraising appeals and strategies.
- Implement initiatives for retaining and upgrading annual support from current donors with special focus on the 1865 Society ($1,000+ donors); the Manager will establish and grow a Leadership Annual Giving level with commensurate distinct recognition and acknowledgement.
- Consistently identify annual gift donors who have the capacity to make a major and/or planned gift and partner with Major Gift Officers to upgrade those donors.
- Create and manage an annual giving fundraising calendar, outlining all significant donor appeals, communications, and engagement touchpoints.
- Partner with the alumni engagement team to manage and implement an annual gift donor stewardship and engagement program.
- Assist with the development of a strategic plan for Annual Giving programs to meet yearly financial and participation goals;
- Collaborate with internal staff and vendors to develop relevant collateral and content for social media and digital outreach platforms;
- Ensure that the University’s brand and overall marketing and communications strategy is used consistently in annual giving materials;
- Manage the Bowie State Giving Day campaign;
- Manage the faculty and staff giving campaign;
- Assist with the implementation of senior class giving, student philanthropy and all “BSU4LIFE” messaging;
- Build upon the University’s crowdsourcing, text to give, and other emerging giving platforms;
- Work occasional weekday evenings during active call center months to motivate student callers and engage with the onsite vendor;
- Work occasional evenings and weekend events sponsored by the Division of Institutional Advancement and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Four (4) years’ experience managing annual giving programs that include integrated multichannel solicitation methods required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- A significant background in direct marketing—especially direct mail, digital media and social media—including proficiency of strategy, creative development, collateral production, and program metrics.
- Ability to manage a call/engagement center staffed by student employees.
- Proven track record in successfully cultivating and soliciting annual fund donors.
- A thorough and current knowledge of, and a commitment to, overall fundraising principles and best practices in annual giving, including social and digital media;
- Donor-centered and customer service-oriented team player who is excited to explore new approaches for connecting with donors;
- Manage all direct mail and email solicitations
- Ability to organize and interpret data sets relating to goal setting, projections, dashboard reporting and results;
- Experience and comfort with data and donor management software; for example, Advance, Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge.
- Critical thinker who is adept at using creative themes and narratives across giving channels to increase efficiencies and grow Annual Giving revenue; curiosity and understanding of new and emerging fundraising techniques and technologies; and
- Demonstrated drive to exceed yearly revenue goals and other key metrics.
- Excellent project management skills with a passion for data-driven decision making;
- Self-starting and organized; ability to prioritize concurrent tasks and competing priorities; and
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, students, volunteers and vendors;
Conditions of Employment
Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged but not required for eligible faculty and staff employed by Bowie State University. This protocol may be subject to change.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
For best consideration, apply by August 27, 2023
To apply for this job please visit bowiestate.peopleadmin.com.