Leadership Annual Gifts Officer
Appalachian State UniversityBoone, NC
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls more than 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
- Manage a portfolio of 1,000 prospective leadership annual giving donors. Cultivate relationships with these donors via email, phone, social media, video conferencing, texting, Guided Fundraising, and other marketing tools. Perform 50+ outbound touchpoints per day.
- Execute monthly and quarterly touchpoint cadences (averaging 50+ outbound touchpoints per day) across the portfolio to ensure consistent and relevant donor communication.
- Demonstrate to donors the impact of their giving. Provide information on university developments and programs relative to their interests. Share upcoming opportunities to attend events, volunteer, participate in alumni association activities/services, or otherwise deepen their engagement with the university.
- Solicit donors to make new gifts. Promote philanthropic opportunities, such as university and college giving priorities, crowdfunding projects, iBackAPP (Giving Day), Reaching New Heights Challenge, and alumni relations initiatives.
- Develop and maintain broad knowledge of the university, such as admissions, athletics, colleges, and continuing education. Develop a network of contacts throughout the university to access additional information. Build out resource hub/content warehouse of relevant content to share with donors.
- Develop a pipeline to meet increasing annual fundraising goals by working with the Office of Prospect Management and Research to identify, qualify, cultivate and solicit prospects.
- Collaborate with colleagues across various campus departments in the development process.
- In concert with the Office of Donor Stewardship, and under supervision, create, implement and direct donor stewardship strategies.
- Work with supervisor to recommend and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies for individual prospects.
- Submit contact reports, moves, and prospect management activities.
- Have the ability to follow procedures in coordination with the Office of Gift Processing to ensure effective collecting, recording, accounting, acknowledgment, and follow-up on all gifts.
- Work collaboratively with administration, volunteers, and other advancement staff as appropriate.
- Identify and interact with current and potential donors and, as appropriate, refer donors and potential donors to other development staff members.
- Utilize best practices, metrics, and proven strategies to advance the Leadership Annual Giving program at Appalachian State University.
- Travel is necessary for this position requiring flexibility in work hours to include evenings and weekends as needed.
- Essential duties will be conducted on the Appalachian State University campus and office location.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least one year of successful experience in fundraising, direct sales, or account-based marketing.
- Capable of managing a calendar.
- At least one year of experience in making cold calls as well as the ability to develop cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Interest in all aspects of education and a dedication to promoting Appalachian’s fundraising priorities through developing excellent relationships with faculty, staff, senior leaders, alumni, and volunteers.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of potential donors in order to develop relationships.
- Self-starter with a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, consult with the supervisor as necessary, and meet tight deadlines.
- Passion for Appalachian State University.
- Strong working knowledge of fundraising principles and strategies.
- A commitment to teamwork and willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues from across campus and within University Advancement.
- An understanding of marketing/communication automation tools.
- An understanding of database management systems.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple relationships.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
Suggested Salary Range:
$50,000 – $60,000 commensurate with experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Cover Letter
- Provide a minimum of 3 professional references in the application or attach a List of References with Contact Information
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.
To apply for this job please visit appstate.peopleadmin.com.