Director of Development 1
Washington State University VancouverVancouver, WA
Do you want to join an organization focused on making a difference in higher education? If so, we are looking for you to join our team! We’re hiring a dynamic professional to fill the role of director of development 1. This position focuses on philanthropic activity with the aim of cultivating donors and raising funds to support WSU Vancouver. The DOD 1 will focus on annual to mid-level giving with some major gift work and will carry a portfolio of approximately 200, a minimum of 100 solicitations with a fundraising goal of 250K+ annually. Duties include securing funds and managing scholarships, manage a portfolio of prospective donors, and execute annual giving campaigns, secure sponsorships and more. Ideal candidates will be motivated and goal oriented, have development experience, excellent organizational and communication skills, self-driven and work well on a team consisting of major gift fundraisers and the senior director of development.
WSU Vancouver is part of the Washington State University system located in Vancouver, WA educating approximately 3,000 students—45% are first generation students.
Salary range is $58,428 – $70,000 annually.
Come join our awesome team!
Summary of Duties:
- Responsible for supporting Washington State University Vancouver’s fundraising goals by planning and conducting outreach designed to promote constituent understanding of WSU Vancouver’s activities and research with the aim of cultivating donors and raising money.
- Activities may include, but are not limited to, annual giving campaign, major gift development of $25,000+, and planned gift identification and advancement. Extensive travel in Washington State, the Pacific Northwest and elsewhere is required.
- Development Director 1 manages a portfolio of approximately 200 prospective donors, opens/plans a minimum of 100 solicitations, and has an annual fundraising goal between $100,000 and $250,000+.
Positions require a Bachelor’s Degree and two (2) years Advancement experience or comparable experience in sales, marketing, or public relations that has involved direct face-to-face contact with clients, customers, prospective customers, and/or members of the public. A Master’s degree in a related field may be substituted for up to one (1) year of the required experience.
- Experience demonstrating strong interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate, develop and steward client/donor relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience promoting diversity and working with diverse constituencies.
- Understanding of proposal development and writing, fundraising and/or client development principles and techniques; project management skills; and relevant event planning/management.
- Demonstrated success in proposal writing and submission.
- Must have, or be able to obtain, a valid driver’s license at time of hire.
- Evenings and weekend work required.
- Fundraising experience closing major gifts of $25,000 and above.
- Evidence of ability to plan and execute a fundraising project from conception to realization.
- Experience engaging faculty and translating their research into layman terms for prospective donors.
- Experience with alumni/donor database applications.
WSU offers full-time employees a competitive benefits package including up to 49 days off per year through paid holidays/sick leave/annual leave, a choice of retirement plans, medical/dental/vision, basic life and long-term disability insurance, and an employee tuition waiver program.
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit wsu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.