Director, Alumni + Family Programs
Rhode Island School of DesignProvidence, RI
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) is seeking a Director of Alumni & Family Programs to join its Institutional Advancement Department (IA). IA cultivates relationships from a variety of sources to support the priorities of the college. Institutional Advancement understands that art and design drive human progress and produces innovations that shape our world. It is deeply committed to building an inclusive community enlivened by a determination to address the most important challenges of our time, and this includes RISD alumni and families. The RISD Alumni Office values the people, projects, and passions that make our creative community so extraordinary.
With a commitment to centering diversity and inclusion in executing key responsibilities and the ability to build and foster an environment of respect, the Director of Alumni & Family Programs is responsible for the oversight of domestic and global clubs, affinity groups, and family engagement staff and for the successful implementation of programs that support the A+FR strategic plan set by the Executive Director. As an experienced manager of both staff and volunteer leaders, the person in this position anticipates and responds to growing needs of the global community including opportunities to connect domestic and global communities.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment, and a competitive benefits package.
- Hire, professionally develop, lead and supervise the Alumni + Family Relations team responsible for the domestic and global clubs, affinity groups and family programs and their corresponding budgets.
- Oversee team members and manage their day-to-day supervision.
- Oversee the team deliverables, communications approvals, and program outcomes that support the A+FR strategic plan and goals.
- Ensure that program delivery and outcomes are consistent with RISD’s and Institutional Advancement’s diversity, equity, and inclusion plan.
- Oversee the management and development of global Alumni Clubs and Family engagement.
- Responsible for the management, growth, and development of global clubs and global family programs.
- Implement a comprehensive annual data-driven strategic plan for global alumni and family programs.
- Support the evaluation of alumni and family programs, through program engagement, and adjusting approaches on data-based decision making.
- Oversee the planning, coordination, and execution of all volunteer training, including but not limited to the Volunteer Leadership Summit, online training and volunteer onboarding materials.
- As back-up for the Executive Director, act as liaison to Alumni and Family Association council committees as necessary; and oversees the coordination between the AALC and FALC committees.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of divisional and institutional colleagues at all levels, with distinguished alumni and other external constituents, within an environment that values diversity.
- Ability to incorporate diversity and inclusion into personnel work, staff training, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Must have knowledge of, or experience with digital, and diverse mediums of communication.
- Strong time management skills. Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and under deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated database entry and reporting experience (Raiser’s Edge preferred) and strong computer skills in programs such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Ability to write persuasively and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic and engaging nature.
- Ability to comfortably and effectively speak in public and make presentations in meetings.
- Ability to monitor and track budgets and expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of seven years of related experience, including demonstrated progressive leadership roles required.
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply:
- Resume (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
To apply for this job please visit risd.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.
- Next s