Major Gifts and Legacy Giving Officer
Georgetown Day SchoolWashington, DC
About the Position:
Location: On campus
Status: Immediate start
Type of Opportunity: Full-time, salaried.
Georgetown Day School seeks an experienced Major Gifts and Legacy Giving Officer. The selected individual will be an integral member of the Advancement team—partnering with the annual giving, advancement services, community relations, and communications teams—to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward constituents for the purpose of increasing philanthropic support to Georgetown Day School. This position reports to the Director of Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively manage a dynamic portfolio of 75-100 major and planned gift donors and prospects, which may include current parents, alumni, parents of alumni, and grandparents
- Conduct 100 or more individual prospect meetings per year to advance donor relationships
- Actively collaborate with colleagues to ensure a holistic donor-centered approach and advance prospect relationship development
- Identify major giving prospects and develop individual donor strategies, along with materials, to upgrade donor gifts
- Craft cultivation and stewardship correspondence to renew major donor gifts; create and implement moves management plans
- Cultivate relationships with qualified prospective donors to increase, solicit, and close prospects for bequests and other planned gifts
- Partner with the Legacy Giving Advisory Council to increase the community’s awareness of planned giving opportunities
- Accurately project revenue and track progress towards goals and produce internal and external reports regarding projects and achieved goals
- Mentor and provide major gifts training for staff and volunteers
- Maintain a high level of professional knowledge and proficiency regarding fundraising best-practices
- Engage members of the Board of Trustees, school administrative leaders, faculty, staff, and volunteers as needed to purposefully advance gift conversation.
- Grow a comprehensive stewardship program for major gift donors
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years relevant experience in major gift work
- Demonstrated success cultivating leadership annual gift and major gift prospects and closing five and six figure gifts
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with trustees, administration, faculty/staff, parents, alumni, and students
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to handle challenging situations diplomatically and maintain collaborative working relationships with colleagues, senior-level leadership, and trustee volunteers
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, act with discretion, and maintain a high level of performance under pressure
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and successfully execute multiple concurrent tasks; to anticipate needs and act accordingly, and to perform with a high degree of initiative
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Workspace, PowerPoint, and Raiser’s Edge
- Availability to periodically work outside of the normal schedule for early morning meetings, evening engagements, and occasional weekend obligations
COVID-Related Job Requirements:
Please be informed that, for all new applicants to job opportunities at GDS (and in schools and child care facilities in the District, whether in the public, public charter, independent, private, or parochial sectors), the District vaccination requirement against COVID-19 is in effect. If hired, individuals must be vaccinated (including being fully boosted) before reporting for duty, unless they have been granted an exemption from such vaccination pursuant to, and are compliant with the requirements of, Section IV of the District’s Order.
As a diverse, inclusive school devoted to preparing our students to live and work in an increasingly globalized and multicultural society, GDS is particularly interested in professionals with demonstrated interest and experience in working in such a school setting.
To apply for this job please visit www.gds.org.