Director of Marketing and Participation, Individual Giving
Columbia Business SchoolNew York, NY
The Individual Giving team has responsibility for identification, discovery, solicitation, and stewardship of donors up to $250,000. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Participation drives strategy and operations to increase the number of dollars and donors to the School’s annual fund through broad-based marketing strategies and volunteer management.
The Director is expected to be a collaborative member of the Individual Giving team and will preside over approximately 3 full-time employees, student workers, and/or part-time employees.
- Develop all aspects of the School’s direct mail/phone/text/video/email solicitation projects for solicitation of 50,000 alumni for the annual funds. Partner with the Executive Director to develop annual fund and leadership giving strategies based on historical donor behaviors, empirical data, industry trends, and available institutional resources. Work with a team of colleagues who will assist in setting individual donor outreach and solicitation goals. Research and develop implementation plans for innovative approaches to annual fund solicitation.
- Create customized appeal letters for our constituents, including affinity groups, specialized campaigns, and annual campaigns. Develop annual fund design concepts with key partners across the University.
- Oversee relationships for mail production vendors and the Columbia Annual Fund Program to ensure accuracy of mailings. Review vendor service offerings to identify opportunities for process improvements for all mail production and budget savings. Oversee a periodic review of all purchase orders and bid processes related to annual fund operations.
- Columbia Giving Day: Serve as project manager and strategist for growth of campaign. Partner with Executive Director to create project plan with timelines and liaise with Office of Alumni and Development (OAD); work will typically begin 6 months in advance of Giving Day. Share debrief results with Development & Alumni Relations administrative team.
- Oversee the production of the “Impact Report,” ensuring data integrity and financial accuracy. Closely review all information submitted by the Assistant Director and partners. Maintain clear and accurate records and samples.
- Direct and develop approximately 3 staff that aid the implementation of annual fund administration, operations, communications, data reporting, and project management. Train team members on best practices.
- Work closely with the Executive Director of Individual Giving to aid projects related to unrestricted giving growth, including, but not limited to, Reunion and Hermes Society activities.
- Other strategic projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. 5- 7 years’ experience required, preferably in a marketing, fundraising, or volunteer management role.
- Must have Demonstrated excellent written, oral, and presentation skills. Must be highly detail oriented.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google suite, and donor databases needed.
- Collegial perspective and customer focused required. Must be Comfortable with data analysis.
- Prior supervisory experience necessary. Occasional evenings and weekends for events, including reunion.
- Higher education experience preferred. Strong fundraising writing experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of web development, video production, and social media campaigns welcomed.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
To apply for this job please visit opportunities.columbia.edu.
- Next s