Director of Advancement Analytics
The purpose of Advancement and Alumni Relations (AAR) is to foster a thriving and engaged community of support for Caltech. By connecting the people who share and support Caltech’s mission and values, we will ensure the Institute receives the necessary resources to achieve Caltech’s aspirations and sustain its excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship in perpetuity. AAR team members embrace and uphold the values of diversity, integrity, respect, focus, and pride.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Advancement Information Services, the Director of Advancement Analytics is responsible for developing and managing end-to-end Analytics to support Caltech’s operations, strategy, and divisions. The Director of Advancement Analytics will build, deploy, and maintain the department’s analytics offerings, services, and products. In this role, the Director of Advancement Analytics will lead, mentor, and develop a team of direct reports in establishing a leading, best-in-class program for Advanced Analytics, leveraging the necessary analytical methods, algorithms, technologies to support Caltech’s mission. Additionally, they are expected to establish high-functioning, collaborative relationships with stakeholders across Caltech.
Essential Job Duties:
- Leads the analytics efforts to ensure our leadership and management is making business decisions based on data, trends, and models. Develops solutions based on business need.
- Produces descriptive/diagnostic/predictive/prescriptive analytics for actionable insights, supporting several units.
- Identifies where to focus energy and resources to raise $2B and diversify the base of support through analytics.
- Translates data into usable and visualized information for the entire Institute community.
- Develops a core suite of analytics that are designed to translate data into usable, actionable information for the formation and execution of strategies and measures of success.
- Provides training and support on data/analytical models, visualization tools, and overall analytical platform.
- Works closely with leadership, as well as other staff, to design and deliver analytics that will support data-driven decision making.
Predictive Analytics and Model Development (30%)
- Lead forecasting and predictive analytics activities to bring key data-driven business insights to leaders within the organization.
- Develop, validate, deploy, and maintain machine learning and statistical models.
- Collaborate with teams across Caltech to assess opportunities, gaps, growth, and improvements.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure information and insights are being cascaded throughout the organization.
- Create near/long term outlook and work with business units to create accurate forecasts and lead the strategic planning process.
- Generation and management of dashboards and forecasting models (Time Series, ARIMA, LSTM, etc.).
- Coordinate with stakeholders to develop forecasting research, e.g., conjoint and discrete choice exercises.
- Produce ad hoc analysis upon request from business unit stakeholders.
Project Management (20%):
- Provides project management oversight, working with team members and others as directed to determine project scope, potential project lead, and timeline, with responsibility for managing projects to execution.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously and keeps a comprehensive plan of all work in progress. Analyzes requests for assistance, project realistic deadlines for project completion, and completes work on schedule.
- Identifies and engages third party vendors, manages budgets and outcomes, and serves as the lead.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director of Advancement Information Services, helps prioritize projects and solutions for IMSS and AAR.
- Develop and distribute a suite of core analytics and dashboards throughout the Department, leveraging Agile Development.
- Leads the Analytics team and manages its many and varied responsibilities. With input and feedback from the Assistant Vice President for Advancement Services:
- Sets strategic priorities and plans to achieve these priorities for the team and direct reports.
- Ensures that individual and team resources are optimally used to achieve long-term goals and annual targets.
- Manages the work and projects of all direct reports.
- Mentors, trains, and acts as a resource to the team as a hands-on leader and developer of visualizations, dashboards, models with the use of using SQL, Python, Tableau, R etc.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the team’s priorities. Motivates, engages, supervises, and evaluates staff.
- Prepares an annual budget as well as an annual work plan. Stays on budget and meets performance targets for agreed upon priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent.
- Eight or more years of professional development, advancement, or related experience.
- Significant experience in working with relational databases like Oracle and/or deep experience in other comparable systems (SQL Server, MySQL Postgres).
- Proven experience developing dashboards, visualizations, reports with Tableau, Power BI, Cognos, etc.
- Experience with machine learning methods and data mining, utilizing advanced analytical techniques, algorithms, and methodologies (Python, R, SAS, etc.).
- Experience managing one or more FTE professionals.
- Proven skills and vision in the strategic deployment analytical systems, products, applications, and data to support a complex business organization.
- Experience to support and leverage strong technical teams and complex business systems requirements and processes.
- Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to use independent judgment and manage and impart information to a range of clientele.
- Demonstrated skills in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Skills in workflow analysis and management knowledge and proven experience with leading projects using standard management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to practice and adhere to organizational values.
- Advanced degree or certification preferred, in Data Mining/Science, Statistics, Computer Science, Analytics, or related field.
- 2 years of experience as a Manager, Director or equivalent in higher education.
- Deep knowledge of data warehousing data models.
- Cover Letter
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). Upon eligibility, employees are required to receive the COVID-19 booster as part of the vaccine mandate. As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.
- Next s